Cuz when you worry, your face will frown, and that will bring everybody down, so don't worry, be happy

I don't want to hear it.
I know you may be upset with me.
I am sorry.

BUT

I honestly, haven't had much to write about the last few weeks or so. It's been S.S.D.D. (Same Sh*t, Different Day). Work and play. Although, there have been new developments in my life (people, new apartment), it's nothing I really want to report on.






One thing I do want to mention is the correlation between happiness and health. Not to sound like a cynic, but I don't believe you can be solely cured with outlook and positivity. Some people need treatment and drugs and all of those fun medical things. I'm also not saying that I'm this cranky, cynical or negative person and rely on only drugs (medication...I don't want to sound like an addict) for relief/treatment. A healthy balance of both definitely makes the journey all the more worthwhile and effective.


Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, I've noticed that the happier I am in life the healthier I feel. I credit this to the happiness associated with companionship, friendships and love (from family, friends, loved ones, partners, etc.). About two and half years ago, when I first met Patrick, I was undergoing chemotherapy treatment and just getting better from my first terrible flare. I was still pretty sick, but that has never stopped me from living. The feelings I felt when I was with Patrick and how our relationship grew literally made me feel healthier. I wasn't achy. I wasn't tired. I wasn't even really affected by my treatment. Magic? Doubt it. I just think that your mind is a powerful thing. I also couldn't have made it through without my meds. Notgonnalie. Buuuuut, it could have been the happiness I associated with where I was at the time and my motivation to WANT to get better (take my meds, maintain my healthy regimen, etc.). That must have been it. Who wants to be happy and sick if they can help it?

So, where I'm at now is the same place I was before when things were good. I've met a pretty great guy, who is merely a friend now, but the happiness I feel has made going through the last legs of treatment and dealing with my condition all the more bearable. Having good people, good vibes and happiness consume you really does make a positive difference.

I'll end this post with an excerpt from a study I was reading by a Harvard professor on Positive Psychology:


"Positive emotions have been linked with better health, longer life, and greater well being in numerous scientific studies. On the other hand, chronic anger, worry, and hostility increase the risk of developing heart disease, as people react to these feelings with raised blood pressure and stiffening blood vessels. A Harvard School of Public Health study found that people who are generally hopeful were less likely to develop hypertension, diabetes, or respiratory tract infection than those who were less hopeful."


Thanks Dr. Ronald Siegel, Psy.D

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts