Let the sun shine, let the sun shine in



I'm sorry I've been MIA. I feel like there hasn't been very much to write about lately. I mean, every day is kind of the same for me. I wake up, lounge about, apply my life away (to jobs) and then revel in the AC. The weather in Boston has been rather brutal. Being from a small island in the Caribbean most people think that I can "handle" it. I mean, I can. Do I want to? No. 


Another factor that applies to this sweltering heat is my photosensitivity. The sun can trigger pain in people with lupus. Even fluorescent lights carry UV rays and can trigger a flare. This kind of sucks and makes me feel like I must stay in a box. Clearly, I don't.  I don't let lupus limit me. What I DO do is take into account that I don't want to feel like poop, so I don't stay out in the sun too long. 


In the Lupus Now magazine, they have some sun safety myths revealed for those of you who aren't too sure what to do about this limitation. 



"There are many misconceptions about how to stay safe in the sun. Be aware of what’s not true about sun protection:
  1. A beach umbrella keeps you safe from the sun.
  2. Sunscreen with an SPF of 45 is three times more effective than an SPF of 15.
  3. Building a "base" tan protects against sunburn.
  4. "Self-tanning" products help protect against sunburn.
  5. Only the people with cutaneous lupus, or with systemic lupus and photosensitivity, need to worry about UV protection."
Click on the link above to read in-depth answers to this 5 common myths.

So yeah, that's that. Hanging with friends a lot and keeping positive vibes in my life. Been reconnecting with people and enjoying every moment of it. I'm planning on going on a few trips within the next two months. Chicago and New York. I want to fit Florida in as well. I miss my mom and brother. I would also like to see my cousins and aunt/uncle. 

But for now, my biggest priority is getting a new JIZOB (job) and staying out of this brutal heat. No one wants a cranky Solange. Believe me...It aint pretty.

Comments

Popular Posts