"I think people should be free to engage in any sexual practices they choose; they should draw the line at goats though."


On top of wanting to discuss the birth control options for lupus patients, I also just want to talk about the general importance of birth control to a lady that is sexually active. It really bothers me to know that in this day in age, parents who impose antiquated ideals to the kids, the Generation Y.  Believe it or not parents, they are having sex (OH NO! YOU DON’T SAY!). I have several friends who are grown adults and are petrified to tell their parents that they need birth control. I understand that revealing this information to your parent is nerve wrecking. Believe me, when my mom found out, I thought I was going to die. Literally…she almost murdered me (mostly because of the situational circumstances). Trying to be the responsible individual, I took matters into my own hands and went to the OB/GYN. The “OB” (as I call her, Reminiscent of OG—Original Gangsta, because my lady's GANGSTA) did her vajayjay thing all up in my grill and we discussed my options to prevent this world from seeing little neurotic Solange’s running around.

A female who has active SLE cannot have oral contraceptives because they are estrogen based and that can exacerbate the condition and cause a flare. I’m not 100% on the science of it. I just know more estrogen pumping through the lady parts of a lady is no good if you have active lupus.


“Previously, oral contraceptives (birth control pills) were not an option for women with lupus because doctors feared the hormones in the pill would cause a flare of the disease. However, a large NIH-supported study called Safety of Estrogens in Lupus Erythematosus National Assessment (SELENA) found that severe flares were no more common among women with lupus taking oral contraceptives than those taking a placebo (inactive pill). As a result of this study, published in 2005, doctors are increasingly prescribing oral contraceptives to women with inactive or stable disease.”

Good to know, eh?

So for ladies who still don’t want to get knocked up and have active lupus their option is progestin based birth control like Depo-Provera or Implants (Implanon). I’m sure there are other options, but these are the two I’ve personally dealt with. Currently I’m on Implanon and it works just fine. I also don’t have to deal with it really. It’s a little toothpick-like implant in my arm that I have for three years. The laziness in me is very appreciative of this invention.

Thank you science!


EDIT:
{============D--- (( {} ))


Wrap it before, you smack it.
Pardon my vulgarity. This is for 21+ eyes only. On the real, what I'm talking about is, if you are going to do the dirty take proper precautions. Don't be an idiot and use the excuse that "my mom won't let me." I doubt mommy wants little you's running around. 

Comments

  1. These look like my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sadness anonymous. sadness.
    I'll light a candle for your unfortunate children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts