“He that withholdeth corn, the people shall curse him: but blessing shall be upon the head of him that selleth it"



I have a bone to pick with with restaurants. 


Being stuck in momitary confinement has allowed me to venture into Boston and see parts of the city I've never had the time (or energy) to see. I've also had the privilege (while my pocketbook has had the pain) of trying out a plethora of restaurants around the South End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill and Dorchester. This isn't going to be an entry rating the restaurants. I'll reserve that for a later entry. I've just noticed a growing trend that bothers me (and probably only me...) to no end.


Restaurants have forgotten about my beloved side vegetable: corn.


They've replaced it with the pretentious spinach, asparagus and broccoli, among other greens. How can you say no to the enticing yellow? the pleasant crunch? the buttery or creamy goodness (depending on how it's prepared)? I can put corn on literally anything. Ok, not anything. I love corn like I love cheese and I can put cheese on most anything. I think people have forgotten about the nutritional value of corn.


Corn is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, as well as sodium. It's also a good source of dietary fiber, thiamin and folate. It contains impressive levels of some disease-fighting phytochemicals, including lutein, which may help protect the eyes. It's also a good source of carbs. Look at all this goodness:



Vitamins
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Vitamin A
355
IU
7%
Vitamin C
0.0
mg
0%
Vitamin D
~
~
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)
0.8
mg
4%
Vitamin K
0.5
mcg
1%
Thiamin
0.6
mg
43%
Riboflavin
0.3
mg
20%
Niacin
6.0
mg
30%
Vitamin B6
1.0
mg
52%
Folate
31.5
mcg
8%
Vitamin B12
0.0
mcg
0%
Pantothenic Acid
0.7
mg
7%
Choline
~
Betaine
~
Minerals
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Calcium
11.6
mg
1%
Iron
4.5
mg
25%
Magnesium
211
mg
53%
Phosphorus
349
mg
35%
Potassium
476
mg
14%
Sodium
58.1
mg
2%
Zinc
3.7
mg
24%
Copper
0.5
mg
26%
Manganese
0.8
mg
40%
Selenium
25.7
mcg
37%




So what if it's mildly inflammatory and it can raise your blood sugar? So what if I have an inflammatory condition? So what if other vegetables are significantly healthier for you? Corn's prettier and I miss having it as my side item with my tasty meals. 


Yes, Asparagus is a good source of potassium, low in sodium, a natural diuretic, good for heart health, digestion and is a birth defect fighter. Yes, Spinach is fat-and cholesterol-free, low in calories, high in fiber, high in folate,  an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C  and iron, an anti-cancer agent and has been shown to help those suffering from osteoporosis, heart disease, colon cancer, arthritis and other diseases. Yes, Broccoli also protects against many different cancers (bladder, prostate, ovarian, etc.), supports stomach health, prevents cataracts, is an immune booster, and fights birth defects.


Those vegetables are just show offs. 


Truth be told, corn is just tasty, but not all that nutritious. I'm just bitter that I can't have the option to enjoy it as a side item at restaurants. The only restaurant I found that do carry corn as a side are French restaurants. 


Oh, corn. How I miss thee.

Comments

  1. I love this Solange! This gave the greatest laugh because on St. Croix, corn is the premier "veg" of choice. It's what served in most local restaurants as a the vegetable side dish. This also make me think of Zad's "experiement" with corn-on-the-cobb some months ago where he threw pineapple essence on it, of all things. He said it was pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solange, You need to move to Iowa..they have fields of corn..to your heart content. You could have it anyway you desire. I will be sending you a corn recipe book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts