So...Funny Story...

2/15/10


Happy Belated Valentine’s Day!


So funny story… (not so funny)...


Remember when I mentioned that I fall victim to smartwater’s advertising?


Let me give you a brief backstory about my relationship with smartwater: When I was undergoing chemotherapy treatment for my kidney disease, my doctors recommended that I stay about from high sodium foods. My mother (who is THE most literal person in the world) took that as a NO SODIUM diet. After much research, my mother read that distilled water is better for me, in particular, because after the distillation process minerals like salt and iron are removed versus spring water that has more minerals including salt. So from that moment on, I was only allowed to drink SmartWater or distilled water. SmartWater is vapor distilled electrolyte enhanced water. Too many electrolytes in the body can cause high potassium levels which leads to Hyperkalemia.


That is what happened to me two nights ago.


On top of having a lupus flare, “moonface” and not feeling my best, my left arm started hurting. I was having crazy muscle weakness, fatigue and an odd tingling sensation that made me worry that I was having a heart attack. I took Tylenol thinking it was just a pulled muscle or fatigue from my anemia (I was in the kitchen making blueberry muffins from scratch and homemade pizza earlier that night…using my hands and arms more than I normally would). Tylenol didn’t work. I took Cyclobenzaprine, my prescribed muscle relaxant, hoping that it would help me go to sleep and not worry about my arm. Nothing worked. I was up all night due to discomfort from my arm and ended up going to the ER at 6:30am. Turns out I had elevated potassium levels along with my lupus flare. That’s what I get for being SO self conscious about having “moonface” that I go and buy a huge pack of SmartWater AND VitaminWater and drink about 12 bottles of them in one day. I had WAY too many electrolytes in my body which gave me Hyperkalemia. Hyperkalemia isn’t good for anyone, but for someone who has a history of kidney disease (me) it was really not good. 7 hours, 4 tests (EKG, Ultrasound, Urinalysis and Bloodwork), 2 percocet and 1 missed rehearsal later, I went home. Happy Valentine’s Day to me! And Happy Heart Health Month! I got my EKG!


As far as my Valentine’s Day went, it was lovely. I had dinner with my boyfriend, rented a movie, lazed about while we ate a HUGE fruit salad and chocolate covered strawberries. I also took two percocets—so I was LOOPY. Not in a “I’m going to jump out the window because I can fly” way, I was mumbling and not making much sense. Let’s just say I slept wonderfully but I am staying away from percocets after this prescription is over (only 5 pills left). I watch ENOUGH Intervention to know that it can mess up your life. To be honest, I can’t really see the appeal. The only reason I’m taking it is because of the intense muscle pain my arm. If I had no pain, I would obviously stay away from it. Why would I want to mumble, be incoherent and probably drool all over myself for no reason? Embarrassing AND pretty stupid.


Moral of the story: If you aren’t going to burn off the energy from energy drinks (or electrolyte infused drinks), don’t drink them.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts