Ooh La La! It's Theatre!


2/18/10

So I’m in this play. (Ooooh! What play?) It’s called Angels in America: Millennium Approaches. (Ooooh! Who do you play?) I play Belize. Yes, I know that role is originally a male black ex-drag queen, but in the first part of the play…the gender is kind of ambiguous and able to be played around with. So I’m
a sassy Spanish female Belize. (Ooooh! When does it go up?) the last weekend in March.

As I’ve mentioned before I love theatre. It is one of the few things that keep me sane. While it does drain me physically and emotionally sometimes, it is what I thrive doing and being around. So, I’m cast in this show this semester and it’s been really fun. The cast is pretty incredible/talented and some of the funniest/nicest people I’ve met in a long time. Had to plug the show. I’ll keep you updated with the going ons of the show.

Doing an art that is physically and emotionally draining can be hard. Believe me. Last night in rehearsal I looked like Mr. Lies in Antarctica (Angels reference) in the room we were rehearsing in. I had fever chills and wasn’t feeling so hot. Once I got up and did my scene, I almost forget or really try hard not to show any symptom, pain or discomfort. Especially since the scene is only a 6 minute scene. Wooo Acting!

Reminds me of anytime I see an actor actually hurt themselves on stage (not good, but it happens) and they keep going! Yeah, Method! I slammed my finger in between industrial sized doors when I was in a show once, was bleeding profusely but had to go on stage to deliver a monologue. I used that pain in my monologue (good thing it was a serious/sad monologue). Haha.

Oh the things we do for theatre!

Comments

Popular Posts