I hate you prednisone!

2/18/10
I’ve been off of prednisone for about 6 days (by choice). Yes, I know it’s not good to just stop it cold turkey, but that’s if you’ve been on it for more than 2 weeks or so. I was supposed to wean myself down to 10mg by the time I see my doctors next. Once “moonface” happened, I just stopped because 10mg doesn’t even do anything for me. It never before and it won’t now (I tried it for a couple days). Hopefully now CellCept will work for me as an alternative to prednisone.

CellCept (Mycophenolate) was initially created as an immunosuppressant to prevent rejection from organ transplants. It’s still a fairly new drug in the market and is now being used to treat SLE and other autoimmune illnesses, with some success. I took it about 4 years ago and it just made me worse. It probably made me worse because I was terrible about taking my medicine. Now I take my medicine religiously (with the exception of prednisone because that’s a temporary medicine anyways—not good for long term use)

I need another alternative to prednisone. ASAP. “Moonface” is still happening and I’m not feeling well at all. I’m having symptoms reminiscent of when I was on fertility drugs because of chemo…hot flashes.

Yes, menopause.
As a 19 year old, I went through menopause. No, it’s not the Benjamin Button syndrome.

Anyone else been through the whole chemo/fertility/craziness that it is to be young and with lupus? I’m curious to know the number or hear other stories.

Yay drugs!

Comments

Popular Posts